Monday, April 30, 2007

Cycling is a Social Sport

People back home at Rutgers always seem to ask me over and over: Why do you do cycling? Isn't there some other activity that would look better on a resume? See but to me that's not what cycling means to me. It's not just another leadership organization or honor society. Cycling to me, other than being a hard-core endurance, muscle building sport is almost like a social club; I think I realized it this weekend. When I first joined cycling, it was almost obvious to me that people at these races mainly stuck with each other in their own groups form each school. But this just isn't true. I've made so many friends from being involved with cycling, and not just within Rutgers Cycling. Maybe its also because I was in intro's all this year and we made a little bonding circle. Either way everyone is really tight knit. If one person isn't there, everyone else notices. We all share stories about our schools and what we do to train for races. When I got my new bike, EVERYONE noticed (probably because it was a big upgrade, but still). It's nice to have that in any sport. When I raced this weekend, I was always talking during my race trying to keep people up with me. 'Cmon ______ we can do this together!" I just hope that when I upgrade to D's people are just as inviting. Being involved with Rutgers Cycling has really changed me in that aspect. I've learned to keep more of an open mind. People are a lot nicer and open than one would normally assume. It's very reassuring and optimistic about people as a whole. Well, that's my two cents for the day. Thanks for a wonderful season everyone, can't wait to do CROSS!

Kevin Miller

No comments: