Sunday, April 15, 2007

Army Weekend - CaptainChaz

I'll be the first to post a race report, but I know that some other team members have much more interesting reports. Here is the category C road race from my POV:

After yawning on the startline, a whole lot of fresh air woke me up as we quickly descended into the first corner. On the first lap, the peleton ascended the climb at a pitifully slow rate, so I was able to take in some great scenery from the back third of the pack. A few efforts went (slightly) off the front during the flat portion of the race, and I abruptly moved up to the front of the peleton on a mild uphill, where the pack slowed for no reason. A rider asked if I wanted to bridge up to a guy that was within sight, I was bored and said "sure," and off we went with two others. I left my cycling glossary at home, because I thought that we were just going to pull him back, but others wanted to break away (of course, in vain). So, we were exposed to the headwind for a while until being caught by the peleton. When caught, we (stupidly) stayed on the front through the end of the flat and down the descent. At the time, the effort didn't seem like it was draining too much energy. I later found that I was incorrect.

I blew up one-third of the way up the second climb, not being used to seated climbing. For some reason, I couldn't figure out that I could have simply shifted up two gears and climbed standing up. Exhaustion is a funny thing. Regardless, the time on the front resulted in me loosing contact with the peleton on the climb, so I had a nice tough training ride with some beautiful scenery on Saturday. Had I been smarter (or brought my cycling glossary), I could have participated in a race. Unfortunately, I was impatient and thus had a very enjoyable training ride. Live and learn - Charlie

PS - Don was able to hang with the peleton on the second climb, so I owe him a dum-dum.

1 comment:

Don said...

Candy!!!

don't be so hard on yourself, chaz. the 2 or 3 guys setting a silly tempo on the front dropped most of the pack in those few miles, and you'd spent more than your share of time in the wind. anybody can hide until the last 100m, but you were off the front as a protagonist!